Bar Harbor, ME
A classic National Park town in Downeast Maine.
Most National Park towns have a certain "feel" to them, and Bar Harbor, ME, is no exception. Perched on the Atlantic Ocean at the base of the stunning hills of Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor seems built for lovers of the great outdoors. Here you will find outfitters stores and gift shops, seafood restaurants, and many bed and breakfasts and motels. And you will also find lots of quirky, funky souls, giving Bar Harbor the feel of a college town.
The minute you leave Bar Harbor, you are in Acadia National Park, the main destination for most vacationers. But there is more to the area than Acadia; bustling fishing villages and sleepy hamlets dot Mount Desert Island, and lobster pounds are everywhere. And if it rains? Bar Harbor has plenty to offer when the weather turns bad. Looking to explore the Maine coast? Bar Harbor might be your place.
FAST FACTS FOR BAR HARBOR, MAINE:
- Population (2000 census): 4,820
- Elevation: sea level
- Area Code: 207
- ZIP Code: 04609
- Distance from Portland: 130 miles
- Location: Map of Bar Harbor, ME
THINGS TO SEE AND DO AROUND BAR HARBOR:
- Acadia National Park--Acadia is a tiny national park with a huge variety of terrain. There are ocean cliffs, mountain ponds, spruce forests, and steep hills.
- Cadillac Mountain--If you like sunsets, drive up Cadillac to see an amazing show, or come later to be among the first in the U.S. to see the sun rise.
- Northeast Harbor--A quaint little village south of Bar Harbor, Northeast Harbor has a charming main street and is a great place to get away from it all.
- Nova Scotia Ferry--If you ever get tired of Bar Harbor, you can hop on a ferry and be in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia in a few hours.
- Thurston's Lobster Pound--Thurston's Lobster Pound is one of the best places for Maine lobster. It is located in Bass Harbor, a fishing village on the west side of Mount Desert Island.
Read about the Docksider Restaurant, a top seafood restaurant in Northeast Harbor, ME that is featured on Boston's Hidden Restaurants, a Boston restaurant guide.
Click here for information on Bed and Breakfasts in Bar Harbor.