This County Clare village is a hub for music lovers.
Doolin, a small village located on the west coast of Ireland, is a great place for people who are looking to get a taste of all that Ireland has to offer. From cozy pubs renowned for their traditional music to peaceful hiking trails and back roads beloved by outdoors lovers to stores filled with all kinds of tradtional Irish crafts and clothing, the little town of Doolin has everything a traveler to Ireland might be looking for.
The lower village of Doolin is particularly scenic, with shops and restaurants lining one side of the main street, all facing a bubbling stream that heads toward the nearby Atlantic Ocean. The centerpiece of the village is Gus O'Connor's Pub, which many consider one of the best pubs in Ireland. And a few miles south are the stunning Cliffs of Moher. Doolin may be tiny, but it is surely one of Ireland's premier destinations.
FAST FACTS FOR DOOLIN, IRELAND:
- Population (Approx.): 500
- Elevation: 50 feet
- County: Clare
- Location: West Coast
- Approx. Distance from Galway: 30 miles
- Main Roads in or Near Doolin: N67, R476, R477, R478, R479
- Gus O'Connor's Pub--One of the greatest pubs in Ireland, Gus O'Connor's sits in the center of town, within walking distance of many bed and breakfasts. Gus O'Connor's has several cozy rooms, with peat fires warming the patrons who listen to top traditional music here.
- Cliffs of Moher--The Cliffs of Moher can be seen in nearly every calendar or picture book of Ireland. These massive cliffs, some more than 500 feet high, extend out into the Atlantic Ocean just south of Doolin.
- The Burren--A remote, slightly ominous region extending north of Doolin, the Burren is a rocky, rugged area with few trees, towns, or people. Limestone cliffs, rocky hills, and ancient ruins make the Burren a place of haunting beauty.
- Sea View House--Located on a hill overlooking the village of Doolin, the Sea View House is a bed and breakfast with terrific accomodations. The views from the sitting room of the Sea View House are memorable, and the convenience of its in-town location make this a good choice for a stay in Doolin.
THINGS TO SEE AND DO AROUND DOOLIN:
Check out Hotel Doolin, a contemporary hotel in of one of Ireland's prettiest villages.